- Students’ families displaced after Massachusetts fires on Thursday
- Poppin’ fall films
- Serena’s struggle with sexism
- Local Hot Spot: Roost
- AJR burned Fall Fest down
- Flint takes the stage
- QCard office’s ‘Hall’ of fame
- A glimpse inside the Trump administration
- Disappointing debut
- Sexism didn’t beat Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka did
Beyond the Bobcats
News beyond the university
Protesters, police killed in Egypt
At least 16 people were killed and at least 38 were injured in Egypt Sunday after protests broke out in the capital city of Cairo and nearby suburbs, according to the Wall Street Journal. Among the dead were at least 11 protesters and at least three police officers, according to the Associated Press. The clashes between police and pro-democracy protesters occurred on the fourth anniversary of the uprising that eventually overthrew Hosni Mubarak, the former president of Egypt who ruled the country for nearly 30 years.
Gas prices may rise
Students may have to pay more at the pump soon. Gas prices are currently $1.24 lower than last year, but a new Lundberg survey predicts gas prices may rise, according to ABC. This is because the cost of crude oil has been increasing over the past 10 days. For now, the average price of gas across the country has dropped 13 cents to $2.07 over the past two weeks. Albuquerque, N.M. has the lowest gas prices in the country, with $1.73 per gallon, while San Francisco has the highest prices with $2.54 per gallon.
Hamden nursing home fined
A Hamden nursing home was fined more than $1,000 for mistakes made when a resident died under its care, according to the New Haven Register. The Department of Public Health fined the Arden House Rehabilitation & Nursing Center in Hamden because a licensed practical nurse at the facility should have told a registered nurse that a resident, who later passed away, was unresponsive. The Hamden nursing home was also cited because a resident left the facility without permission, another resident fell without wearing the “gripper socks,” and another resident was not bathed.