- Quinnipiac men’s basketball falls short in 65-63 loss to Canisius
- Dean of School of Communications Mark Contreras resigns
- Quinnipiac student robbed at gunpoint in Washington D.C.
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball splits opening MAAC weekend after loss to Rider
- Runnin’ the Point: New Year’s resolutions for Quinnipiac men’s basketball
- Murphy’s Law: Milestone mania
- Pecknold gets 500th win as Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey cruise past Colgate
- Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey captain Melissa Samoskevich drafted No. 2 in NWHL Draft
- The gift of education
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball falls to Drexel in final game of Holiday Showcase
News outside the Quinnipiac campus
Beyond the Bobcat
Sacred Heart student dies
Sacred Heart University student Kaitlyn Doorhy was pronounced dead on Saturday after suffering serious injuries Friday afternoon. The junior was crossing Madison Ave. in Bridgeport when she was struck by a car, according to NBC Connecticut. The Connecticut Post reported Doorhy was hit outside of the sorority house where she resided. The driver, 28 year-old Brandon M. Pouncie, did remain at the scene of the collision and is cooperating with the police investigation. More than 700 people gathered on the Quad at the university to pray for Doorhy and her family, according to WTNH. Doorhy’s parents will be donating her organs for transplants. Grief counseling will be available to students at the university’s Wellness Center. -N. Hanson
Officials close to discovering identity of ISIS militant
British ambassador to the United States Pete Westmacott reported they were close to identifying the young militant involved in the beheading of American journalist James Foley, according to the New York Times. Westmacott told CNN they were using voice-recognition technology to the match the killer’s voice in the viral video. The 23-year-old London rapper Abdel Majed Abdel Bary has been named as a prime suspect in the investigation, according to a Fox News report. Bary’s Egyptian-born father was extradited from London to the United States in 2012 for alleged connections to Osama bin Laden and the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Africa. Bary is a member of an ISIS fighter group and arrived in Syria last year. Two other suspects were taken into custody on Aug. 24. U.S. Intelligence officials are not commenting on the matter publicly. In addition to Foley, ISIS is believed to have three other American hostages.
Northern California Earthquake Strongest in 25 Years
More than 100 people were injured after a 6.0 earthquake struck Napa, California on Sunday, according to CNN. It is the strongest earthquake in 25 years since a 6.9 magnitude earthquake hit the Bay Area in 1989. A number of historic buildings were damaged from the disaster. Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency because of the damage. The earthquake triggered six major fires and more than 100 gas leaks. There have reportedly been more than 60 aftershocks from 0.6 to 3.6 magnitude.