- Baker Dunleavy signs five-year contract extension
- New Haven issues a Public Health Alert after over 90 people overdose
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball finalizes 2018-19 schedule
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball unveils non-conference slate
- Quinnipiac women’s basketball announces non-conference schedule
- New QCards show more face and less branding for easier identification
- President Judy Olian to ‘shape Quinnipiac’s bright future’ with students
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey releases 2018-19 schedule
- Sleeping Giant State Park closed indefinitely after tornado damage
- Quinnipiac partners with People’s United Bank
News outside the Quinnipiac campus
Beyond the Bobcat
Shooting outside New Haven club
Students should be careful when traveling into New Haven during the weekend. Two people were shot early Saturday morning after an altercation outside Pulse nightclub, according to police. Police say the shots occurred at 2:13 a.m., nearly 45 minutes following the closing of the club, however, police believe the two involved men were both in the nightclub attending the hip-hop party the club promoted. Police say the club stepped has up its presence in the area recently.
Flood washes through Colorado
A devastating flood hit Colorado that began one week ago. Helicopters are searching for about 500 missing people. Five have already been found dead, including a 60-year-old woman who was unable to evacuate in time. Witnesses say they saw her body swept away along with the remains of her house. In Boulder County alone, there is an estimated $150 million in damage repair. President Barack Obama signed a disaster declaration for Colorado and ordered federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the county.
Miss America winner faces racist comments
For the second consecutive year, Miss America has been chosen from the state of New York. Nina Davuluri, 24, is the first Indian-American to be crowned. Following the announcement, racial tweets were composed and posted on the internet. Comments about the Muslim religion and remarks about whether President Barack Obama had a say were posted throughout Twitter. Davuluri did not immediately respond to the comments and instead focused on her special night. Davuluri hopes to attend medical school and become a physician.
Navy Yard Shooting
Twelve people and gunman Aaron Alexis were killed early Monday morning during a shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington D.C. The 34-year old Alexis was in the navy reserve from 2007 to 2011, and was later shot and killed by authorities following the rampage. The gunman was able to enter the Navy Yard by using his access as a newly-hired contractor. Alexis had a history of mental illness and was honorably discharged from the military in January 2011, according to a law enforcement official. Alexis was charged with indiscriminate use of a firearm in Texas and another firearm altercation in 2004.