- Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey rolls past Guelph in exhibition game
- Quinnipiac volleyball falls to Iona, 3-1, in MAAC contest
- Quinnipiac women’s soccer dominant in win over Fairfield
- Quinnipiac field hockey defeats Georgetown in Big East battle
- Quinnipiac men’s soccer tops Central Connecticut State for second straight win
- SGA releases 2018-19 election results
- Public Safety Officer Invents ‘Hooked on Baby’
- Get Cultured
- Health center to host group therapy sessions
- Students’ families displaced after Massachusetts fires on Thursday
Strong pitching lifts Quinnipiac to fifth win
Myrtle Beach is the perfect destination for a spring break getaway, and the Quinnipiac baseball team needed just that after a tough loss against Duke on March 13. The Bobcats improved to 5-4 on the season after defeating Akron University in the first game of the Chanticleer Classic at TicketReturn.com Field on Friday.
The Bobcats got seven stellar innings from senior Derek Lamacchia to knock of the Zips by a score of 4-1.
Lamacchia allowed just one run and four hits while sitting down four by way of strikeout.
The Zips opened the scoring in the second on an RBI single by Dalton Mosbarger, but Akron couldn’t manage another base runner until the seventh inning.
Quinnipiac answered right away, adding two runs in the bottom half of the frame. Ryan Nelson plated one on a double to right center, and eventually scored on an error two batters later.
Mike Blumenthal provided some insurance for the Bobcats in the seventh, singling with the bases loaded and giving Quinnipiac a three-run lead.
Gary Binkiewicz came in to relieve Lamacchia in the eighth and was just as effective, striking out three Akron batters while picking up his third save of the season.
With the win, the Bobcats remain undefeated in games in which they don’t commit an error.
Quinnipiac will stick around in Myrtle Beach and face the Zips again on Saturday, with first pitch scheduled for 11 a.m.