- Quinnipiac women’s basketball takes on South Carolina in Sweet 16
- Column: Another game, another hero
- Quinnipiac women’s basketball advances to Sweet 16
- Harvard ends Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey season in Lake Placid
- Chronicle Sports Staff makes March Madness picks
- Multicultural Suite to open in Student Center
- Assistant director of OFSL to resign on March 10
- GSA hosts peaceful protest for transgender rights
- Sherman Ave building to be new QU theater
Softball snaps 8-game skid, splits doubleheader
After starting out the season 2-12 and losing its last eight games, the Quinnipiac softball team headed down to Tampa, Fla. looking for a sign of fresh air.
Behind leadoff hitter Courtney Solt, the Bobcats got back in the win column Tuesday as they split the day/night doubleheader, topping Maine 6-5 then losing to South Florida 7-4.
Quinnipiac left fielder Solt went a combined 5-7 on the day. She was 2-3 in the win, and 3-4 in the loss.
Second basemen Nikki Barba led the Bobcats in their first win since March 1. Barba went 3-4 with two RBI. Shortstop Alex Alba also contributed with two hits, an RBI, and a run scored.
Freshman Nicole Gubellini got the start against the Black Bears. She went three innings, gave up eight hits, and only surrendered two runs while striking out two. Sidney Robey, also a freshman, came in for the final four innings of relief. She gave up five hits, three runs, and fanned three.
Quinnipiac then played national powerhouse South Florida in the second half of the doubleheader. Solt tallied three of the five Bobcat hits, while the other two belonged to Barba and Jordan Paolucci.
Sophomore Hannah Lindsley got the start going 2.2 innings in a losing effort. She gave up four hits and runs. Junior Katie Alfiere pitched the final 3.1 innings. She gave up only two hits and one run.
Quinnipiac hops right back into action down in Florida on Wednesday. It plays at 12 p.m. against UT-Chattanooga.