- Quinnipiac University suspends men’s lacrosse team
- Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey rolls past Guelph in exhibition game
- Quinnipiac volleyball falls to Iona, 3-1, in MAAC contest
- Quinnipiac women’s soccer dominant in win over Fairfield
- Quinnipiac field hockey defeats Georgetown in Big East battle
- Quinnipiac men’s soccer tops Central Connecticut State for second straight win
- SGA releases 2018-19 election results
- Public Safety Officer Invents ‘Hooked on Baby’
- Get Cultured
- Health center to host group therapy sessions
Interfaith groups coordinate “Hope For Sandy Hook Benefit Dinner”
The interfaith groups at Quinnipiac University are planning a “Hope for Sandy Hook” benefit dinner to raise funds for families affected by the Newton, Conn. school shooting. The dinner is set to take place on Thursday, Jan. 3, from 7-10 p.m.
Event coordinator Ashley Alcott, a sophomore advertising major, says the “unbelievable” amount of support she has received for the event shows how the community has come together to help those who need it most.
“I can’t even imagine the pain [the Sandy Hook community] is going through,” Alcott said. “No one deserves to lose their children, and I think that it is important to help the families that did.”
Alcott says she plans to donate the money raised to Newtown Youth and Family Services to cover the costs of grief counseling for the families. She also hopes the people attending the event might be able to help the families cope with the tragedy.
State Reps. Gary Holder-Winfield and Michael D’Agostino will be in attendance. Holder-Winfield will be speaking at the event.
The Woodwinds in Branford, Conn. donated its venue and food for the dinner while Subway and Neptune House of Wallingford are donating desserts. Music and entertainment will be provided by Action DJ Entertainment and the Connecticut band Brothers.
“We have an amazing, caring community in Connecticut,” Alcott said. “When something happens, this community will be there to help.”
More information can be found and tickets can be purchased at www.hopeforsandyhook.com. Tickets are $20 per person. Anyone with questions can contact Ashley Alcott at 203-424-0627 or Ashley@HopeForSandyHook.com.