- Mike Quitko announces his retirement
- Turner named Canada’s U-18 head coach
- NHL’s Islanders draft Devon Toews
- Recent graduate killed in motorcycle accident
- Former student arrested after bomb threats
- Bomb threat delays third commencement ceremony
- University lays off 16 professors, hires 12
- McLean verbally commits to Quinnipiac
- Canisius rallies past Quinnipiac baseball
- Student charged with second-degree burglary
Three-run rally Sparks Quinnipiac Past UConn
The Quinnipiac softball team rallied off three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to top UConn, 5-4 on Wednesday at the QU Softball field.
Going into the bottom of the sixth, the Bobcats were losing by two and searching for some offense. With two runners in scoring position and two outs, Alex Alba picked up her first hit of the day as she spanked a line drive down the leftfield line, knocking in two runs and tying the game at 4.
Quinnipiac (19-11) caught a break as an error by Huskie shortstop Emily O’Donnell let the Bobcats capture the lead and hold on to win.
Quinnipiac started the game in the hole early after an opposite field homerun gave UConn a 2-0 lead. But once Quinnipiac took the lead in the sixth, Heather Schwartzburg never looked back and pitched a scoreless seventh inning.
Schwartzburg has been a vital pitcher this season for the Bobcats. She recorded her 12th win of the season today pitching a complete game with four hits and four runs while striking out six.
Kiki Saveriano picked up the loss for UConn, which dropped her record to 11-8 on the season.
Saveriano gave up five runs but only three which were earned as her defense made three errors and ultimately gave up the winning run.
Designated hitter, Katie Alfiere recorded two hits and two runs in the win.
Next on the schedule for Quinnipiac is a doubleheader against Wagner on Saturday at 1 p.m.