- Quinnipiac women’s basketball takes on South Carolina in Sweet 16
- Column: Another game, another hero
- Quinnipiac women’s basketball advances to Sweet 16
- Harvard ends Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey season in Lake Placid
- Chronicle Sports Staff makes March Madness picks
- Multicultural Suite to open in Student Center
- Assistant director of OFSL to resign on March 10
- GSA hosts peaceful protest for transgender rights
- Sherman Ave building to be new QU theater
Quinnipiac women’s rugby falls to Eastern Illinois
EIU's offense too strong as Bobcats lose 66-3.
Quinnipiac women’s rugby dropped its match to Eastern Illinois Sunday, 66-3.
“From the very first scrum Quinnipiac was simply outmatched strength-wise,” Bobcats head coach Becky Carlson said. “Fundamentally, we are comparable programs but pound-for-pound they just flat out beat us today.”
Krystin Orrico recorded Quinnipiac’s only score of the match, a penalty kick in the final minutes.
Quinnipiac consistently had trouble setting rucks, which led to its defeat against Eastern’s strong offense. Panthers junior Lauren Doyle was responsible for nearly half of her team’s points, recording 31, and contributing five trys to the victory.
Eastern Illinois took an early lead in the contest, recording a try in just the first minute. The Panthers offensive success continued, and the score was 27-0 by the half. Their success continued early in the second half, as Eastern Illinois extended its lead to 49-0 with 25 minutes of play remaining. Three Panthers scored in the next 15 minutes to seal the match.
“Eastern Illinois participates in an extremely physically demanding strength and conditioning program compared to Quinnipiac’s and it absolutely showed today,” said Carlson.
Quinnipiac squares off against West Chester Saturday, Nov. 12 at 11 a.m.