- Mike Quitko announces his retirement
- Turner named Canada’s U-18 head coach
- NHL’s Islanders draft Devon Toews
- Recent graduate killed in motorcycle accident
- Former student arrested after bomb threats
- Bomb threat delays third commencement ceremony
- University lays off 16 professors, hires 12
- McLean verbally commits to Quinnipiac
- Canisius rallies past Quinnipiac baseball
- Student charged with second-degree burglary
Cunniff notches hat trick as time expires, field hockey wins 3-2
The Quinnipiac field hockey team defeated Lehigh University, 3-2, with no time left in regulation on a penalty corner shot. Senior captain Kim Cunniff scored all three goals off corner plays.
It was Cunniff’s first hat trick of her career.
“Kimmy obviously did her job today,” Quinnipiac head coach Becca Main Kohli said. “She put the ball in the net three times and she also put the ball on net on corners. She hit a post and goalkeeper three times.”
Cunniff has now scored a goal in the last three games the Bobcats (4-2) have played.
“It was really a team effort. Everyone was forcing the ball to me,” Cuniff said.
Cunniff stopped a breakaway with less than five minutes left in the game.
“Her job on the field as sweeper, to clean up the mess and play defensive was equally stellar for us today,” Kohli said.
Megan McCreedy picked up two assists off of Cunniff’s goal. Ashley Gradwell and Maria Malonoski each picked up one.
“My leaders stepped up and did what they were supposed to do,” Kohli said. “McCreedy, Gradwell and Cunniff really put it together for us.”
The Bobcats out shot Lehigh 29-8 for the game and had 11 penalty corners dominating the field for the majority of the game.
Abby Tilton and Caitlin Donnelly scored for Lehigh (1-4).
Goalkeeper Nicole Lewis had three saves on the day.
The Bobcats will host Harvard University on Sunday at 2 p.m.