- Men’s ice hockey crushes Colgate, 4-1
- Men’s basketball falls to Brown in non-conference finale
- Fall Sports Awards
- Health center implements new policy for spring 2017
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey drops third straight, 4-1 to Princeton
- Serving up tradition
- Anne Dichele appointed as Interim Dean of the School of Education
- Got the finals freak outs?
- Dog Finals benefits students by reducing stress levels
- The Chronicle’s top ten news stories in 2016
Cunniff notches hat trick as time expires, field hockey wins 3-2
The Quinnipiac field hockey team defeated Lehigh University, 3-2, with no time left in regulation on a penalty corner shot. Senior captain Kim Cunniff scored all three goals off corner plays.
It was Cunniff’s first hat trick of her career.
“Kimmy obviously did her job today,” Quinnipiac head coach Becca Main Kohli said. “She put the ball in the net three times and she also put the ball on net on corners. She hit a post and goalkeeper three times.”
Cunniff has now scored a goal in the last three games the Bobcats (4-2) have played.
“It was really a team effort. Everyone was forcing the ball to me,” Cuniff said.
Cunniff stopped a breakaway with less than five minutes left in the game.
“Her job on the field as sweeper, to clean up the mess and play defensive was equally stellar for us today,” Kohli said.
Megan McCreedy picked up two assists off of Cunniff’s goal. Ashley Gradwell and Maria Malonoski each picked up one.
“My leaders stepped up and did what they were supposed to do,” Kohli said. “McCreedy, Gradwell and Cunniff really put it together for us.”
The Bobcats out shot Lehigh 29-8 for the game and had 11 penalty corners dominating the field for the majority of the game.
Abby Tilton and Caitlin Donnelly scored for Lehigh (1-4).
Goalkeeper Nicole Lewis had three saves on the day.
The Bobcats will host Harvard University on Sunday at 2 p.m.