- New Haven issues a Public Health Alert after over 90 people overdose
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball finalizes 2018-19 schedule
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball unveils non-conference slate
- Quinnipiac women’s basketball announces non-conference schedule
- New QCards show more face and less branding for easier identification
- President Judy Olian to ‘shape Quinnipiac’s bright future’ with students
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey releases 2018-19 schedule
- Sleeping Giant State Park closed indefinitely after tornado damage
- Quinnipiac partners with People’s United Bank
- Quinnipiac baseball secures 2-1 series win against Niagara
Softball picks up win before conference play begins this weekend
Quinnipiac beats UConn, 7-3.
Junior pitcher Heather Schwartzburg earned the win after pitching six innings, holding the Huskies to just six hits.
The Huskies (11-14) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second, but Quinnipiac’s offense came to life in the top of third, scoring three runs. Bridget Figmic and Joelle Jacobsen each hit singles and each drove in a run. Jacqueline Ristow scored on a walk.
The Bobcats (16-13) responded again after Connecticut tied the game up with a solo home run from Andrea Huelsenbeck by scoring two runs in the top of the fifth. Sabrina Salgado singled on a bunt allowing Figmic to score. Then, Salgado scored on a Christy Cabrera single up the middle.
The Huskies did not score again.
Quinnipiac finished the game strong scoring two additional runs in the top of the seventh. Catcher Ashley Heighberg scored on a throwing error and Salgado also got on base after another throwing error by the Huskies.
Salgado scored the final run of the game on a fly out to right field by Alex Alba.
The second game of the scheduled double header was cancelled due to bad weather.
The Bobcats will open up Northeast Conference play when they host Mount Saint Mary’s in a double header on Saturday. The first game is scheduled to start at noon.