- No. 3 Quinnipiac acrobatics and tumbling falls to No. 2 Oregon
- Rossman sets women’s ice hockey shutout record in Senior Day win
- Men’s basketball loses overtime heart-breaker to Fairfield
- Women’s ice hockey decimates RPI as Rossman ties program shutout record
- Women’s basketball defeats Iona in MAAC Championship rematch
- Student wins Global Student Entrepreneur Award
- Students volunteer to assist local residents with tax returns
- Students, faculty participate in silent vigil to support immigrants and refugees
- Slammed with snow
- Men’s ice hockey drops close contest to Clarkson
Women’s soccer ties Blackbirds, nabs 2 points over weekend
The Quinnipiac women’s soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to five games as it played to a 0-0 tie in a Northeast Conference matchup against Long Island University at the LIU field Sunday. With the draw, the Bobcats advanced to 1-0-2 in the NEC and 3-4-2 overall, while the Blackbirds remain unbeaten in NEC play at 2-0-1 and 8-1-2 overall.
Junior forward Furtuna Velaj led the Bobcats in shots with four and had the only two shots on net. Junior goalkeeper Jillian Kelley earned her second shutout of the season as she backstopped the Bobcats, making five saves in the game.
In the first minute of play, sophomore Shauna Edwards had a chance to put the Bobcats ahead, but her shot was blocked. The Blackbirds flew back as Long Island forward Kayleigh Morgan fired a shot from outside the 18-yard box in the 26th minute, hitting the crossbar.
The Bobcats came roaring back in the second half in an attempt to even out the shots, but Long Island goalkeeper Jessica Sexton kept the Bobcats off the scoreboard. Just before time expired on the clock, junior midfielder Kristina Del Mistro cradled a pass in front of the Blackbirds’ net and blasted a shot high, missing the net. With neither team able to score in the second half, the Bobcats entered their second double-overtime game of the season.
Neither team could capitalize in the next 20 minutes of overtime play and the game ended in a 0-0 draw. The Bobcats tallied nine shots in the game, while the Blackbirds had 15. The Bobcats picked up a point on the game to contribute to its unbeaten streak.
QU plays Monmouth on Friday at 3:30 p.m. and Mount St. Mary’s on Sunday at noon.