- Quinnipiac men’s basketball moves down to .500 in MAAC play with 75-72 loss to Niagara
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball falls short in 65-63 loss to Canisius
- Dean of School of Communications Mark Contreras resigns
- Quinnipiac student robbed at gunpoint in Washington D.C.
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball splits opening MAAC weekend after loss to Rider
- Runnin’ the Point: New Year’s resolutions for Quinnipiac men’s basketball
- Murphy’s Law: Milestone mania
- Pecknold gets 500th win as Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey cruise past Colgate
- Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey captain Melissa Samoskevich drafted No. 2 in NWHL Draft
- The gift of education
Women’s soccer ties Blackbirds, nabs 2 points over weekend
The Quinnipiac women’s soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to five games as it played to a 0-0 tie in a Northeast Conference matchup against Long Island University at the LIU field Sunday. With the draw, the Bobcats advanced to 1-0-2 in the NEC and 3-4-2 overall, while the Blackbirds remain unbeaten in NEC play at 2-0-1 and 8-1-2 overall.
Junior forward Furtuna Velaj led the Bobcats in shots with four and had the only two shots on net. Junior goalkeeper Jillian Kelley earned her second shutout of the season as she backstopped the Bobcats, making five saves in the game.
In the first minute of play, sophomore Shauna Edwards had a chance to put the Bobcats ahead, but her shot was blocked. The Blackbirds flew back as Long Island forward Kayleigh Morgan fired a shot from outside the 18-yard box in the 26th minute, hitting the crossbar.
The Bobcats came roaring back in the second half in an attempt to even out the shots, but Long Island goalkeeper Jessica Sexton kept the Bobcats off the scoreboard. Just before time expired on the clock, junior midfielder Kristina Del Mistro cradled a pass in front of the Blackbirds’ net and blasted a shot high, missing the net. With neither team able to score in the second half, the Bobcats entered their second double-overtime game of the season.
Neither team could capitalize in the next 20 minutes of overtime play and the game ended in a 0-0 draw. The Bobcats tallied nine shots in the game, while the Blackbirds had 15. The Bobcats picked up a point on the game to contribute to its unbeaten streak.
QU plays Monmouth on Friday at 3:30 p.m. and Mount St. Mary’s on Sunday at noon.