Dont’ become the ultimate prey

I didn’t realize it then, but I was a sloppy, stupid freshman girl...

By on September 15, 2010

One year ago, I began my career as a Quinnipiac freshman, excited and anxious to meet new people and eager to throw myself into the college scene.  I studied hard and  got involved in campus life.  My one downfall (although a year ago I would have claimed it to be a triumph) was that I was binge drinking every night of the weekend, and even sometimes the entire week.  I didn’t realize it then, but I was a sloppy, stupid freshman girl, also known as the ultimate prey.

As I began my sophomore year merely two weeks ago, I noticed the gorgeous, drunken freshmen girls. So eager to make new friends and find cute boys, they resorted to downing bottles of Bacardi to give themselves some liquid courage. Of course it suddenly occurred to me that these sloppy girls were me, only a year behind. I was disgusted with myself, but also felt relieved that I had made it through such a dangerous and reckless time completely unscathed.

This year my perspective is entirely different, my attitude changed to annoyance rather than excitement. I have sat on the sidelines and watched my sophomore male friends look at the “fresh meat” as something to conquer, then throw away and move on to the next victim. This victim list is about 1,000 girls long, the ultimate prey for sophomore predators.

Think about it; you’re a cute freshman girl, new to everything about college. A handsome upperclassman comes over and invites you to a party: You’re going to go, and you’re going to bring all your girlfriends.  This cute male sophomore has just secured an entire night of flirtation and fooling around for himself and all of the guys at his party. The problem is, girls, you’re not special. You’re one girl, one night, one time. Tomorrow night, it’ll be some other girl.  Obviously this doesn’t apply to every situation, but it does happen … a lot!

Last weekend for example, a male friend brought an extremely intoxicated girl into our friends’ room. She stumbled all over the room, slurring her speech as she desperately tried introducing herself to me.  She looked at me and said, “I think I saw you the other night…I was that really drunk girl outside of Troupe, ha ha ha!” I was not amused. Although I recall being the drunken girl outside of Troupe only a year ago, this new drunken girl was beyond irritating and expressing herself in a dumb and distasteful light. In true predator fashion, my friend, the male sophomore, continued to pursue her and closed the deal at the end of the night. The next day he couldn’t even remember her name.

So to all the freshman girls out there, rather than be offended, take it as a piece of advice from someone who was in your shoes just 12 months ago. Be aware that the upperclassmen may have only one thing in mind, make sure you’re always in control of the situation and please stop referring to yourselves as the drunk girls outside of Troupe. It’s really not attractive.  So, ultimate prey, be on guard for the ultimate predators dressed as cute upperclassmen, because you might not be as lucky as I was.

Comments

About Kate Krivitzky

Hey, I'm Kate! I'm 19 and from New Jersey. I'm a sophomore and am super excited about writing for The Chronicle. I most definitely will be stirring up some controversy across the campus with my opinion articles and cannot wait to get feedback, positive or negative!! :)

11 Comments

1. QUjunior

September 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

QU Chronicle editors, you should be ashamed of yourselves for letting this article ever go to print.

Although the author (probably) had good intentions, this article left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a sad feeling in my heart, especially after reading and digesting the words of the second to last paragraph.

The author writes: “A male friend brought an extremely intoxicated girl into our friends’ room. She stumbled all over the room, slurring her speech… I was not amused…the male sophomore, continued to pursue her and closed the deal at the end of the night. The next day he couldn’t even remember her name”.

I am OUTRAGED that the author, a so-called “changed” sophomore, openly admits that she watched one of her male “friends” take advantage of a girl who was clearly too intoxicated to make a proper judgment call. The author observed and did absolutely nothing to intervene, and instead took the opportunity to make an example out of one young student and a situation that should never, under any circumstances, ever be taken lightly.

As a victim of sexual assault on our very own campus, I’d just like to make a point that if any ‘changed’ student should ever encounter a helpless individual in a similar situation, please, don’t brush it off as some drunk girl just getting what she deserves. No one should ever have to be in that situation.

That being said, reread the article again. Hopefully your perspective on what’s deemed ‘funny’ will have changed. Because if anything, this article is far from hilarious. It’s downright disturbing.

• JG

September 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Why is it always the editors who get blamed? This is a voice of someone on the campus community, why shouldn’t they be allowed to talk?

2. Kate

September 15, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hi,

First I’d like to say I am truly sorry if I offended you. This article was never intended to make an example out of someone and I certainly do not think that this particular girl “got what she deserves.” And I don’t believe I even insinuated that. As a matter of fact, the entire reason for the article being written was to warn girls of the dangers of reckless behavior. Because the article had a more lighthearted tone, with a serious undertone, more people are going to read it! This is a good thing! Hopefully girls will read this article and have their eyes opened to what some people are truly after. Please read it again, the last paragraph especially, and realize this article is a warning, not a condemnation or a chance to make fun of some unsuspecting girl. That is entirely not the point.

3. Barbara Sueko

September 20, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Although the intended message of this article (and supposed intent of the author) was to warn freshman girls to the dangers of binge drinking and jackass upperclassmen, I think it goes without saying that what she ended up doing is condoning the behavior.

Actions speak louder than words, and rather than actually do something to stop the cycle and make a change, the author just watched her male “friend” take advantage of someone she claims she was just 12 months prior. Really? Really!? If she were as proactive as she seems to claim she is, she would’ve done something. She would’ve told her so-called friend to knock off the douche-bag behavior, call it a night, and send the girl home.

The author need not give herself a pat on the back for making it out of her freshman year “unscathed” because it’s now all a moot point. You let someone else make the mistakes you were “lucky” enough to avoid and to me, that’s almost even worse because that girl didn’t yet have the hindsight to see things clearly.

Kudos to putting your name on this article, but I shake my head at the fact that, in the moment, you still were not brave enough to stand up for what was right.

4. Jerry Sloan

September 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm

What were you trying to accomplish other than claiming you are an accomplice to rape…? That must make you a great reporter and a great human being….

• Michael

September 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm

This is one of the most ignorant comments I’ve ever had the misfortune of reading on the internet. Think about what you are really accusing the writer of this article of when you use the word “accomplice to rape.” First of all consider the fact that the incident referred to in the article wasn’t the same incident you refer to when you use the word “rape.” That immediately negates your malicious and foolish statement.

As for the incident described in the article, nothing malicious occurred. What DID occur was a normal college situation which happens on a regular base. A situation which the writer was not condoning; in fact she was pointing out the behavior as an example of how NOT to act. She had no responsibility to step in and stop it because two drunk people made the consensual decision to “hook up.” That decision may have come from a male pursuing a female but that is not malicious. That is relatively normal. If she was drunk, but willing, it may have been immoral for the boy to attempt to “seal the deal” but it is by no means illegal. It certainly isn’t rape. You need to think about the things you say, especially when it is a VERY serious allegation made of someone you’ve never met. Neither of us was present when the writer saw this event, we know no one involved, and therefore CANNOT go around spouting idiot nonsense like the phrase “accomplice to rape.”

You should be ashamed of yourself.

5. QUstudent

September 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

you said he sealed the deal and then in the letter from a mother you said that he just kiissed her? are u really just trying to cover up for him now? thats really messed up and how do you know that the girl that it happened to that night was not her daughter

6. Kate

September 23, 2010 at 11:00 am

He sealed the deal by making out with her; in my opinion if the guy sees any action, whether it be sex or just a kiss, he has succeeded in his goal. And if you must know, the police interrogated me and asked me if the girl in my article was the same girl that was assaulted. I can assure you it’s not the same girl. I was there the entire time and no one was sexually assaulted. And no one is trying to cover anything up. In fact my article had absolutely nothing to do with the girl who truly was assaulted and any further investigation into my article is only hindering the assault case. By spending time worrying about the guy in my article, everyone is wasting precious time for finding out who really assaulted this girl.

7. Mark

September 24, 2010 at 2:18 pm

i think this will help female students and would not have been put under a microscope if it wasn’t for the timing if it’s realease and that of the rape. the police had good insticts in looking for a witness here but based on how i heard things went down i think i think everybody went a little overboard. Now I’m not saying rape and this case in particular is a joke but i find things written with a small atitude make written works stand out. Kate you did a good job here don’t let anyone tell you different.

8. QU Graduate

December 26, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I just read this article and it makes me think of how sad it is that some girls focus their attention and implied blame on the “drunk freshmen girls” rather than the “predator” older guys. I hope that many students mature and realize that this way of thinking is immature and backwards. It is the kind of thinking that makes a woman who has been raped think that it is her fault rather than the fault of the man who used her body without her consent. It is the kind of thinking that leads to a man who raped a girl thinking that he did nothing wrong at all. It is the kind of thinking that leads to QU to not directly recognizing and fighting their problem of sexually assaults happening on their campus. QU students and staff truly need to step up in order to change this way of thinking.

• Ivan

January 6, 2011 at 12:41 am

why are guys who look for hookups “predators?” Thats just what men do, boys will be boys. Girls go out on the prowl, so why can’t guys? Also, intoxication is voluntary, and only when a girl is INCAPACITATED can she not give consent. Being at BAC .09 isn’t incapacitated, tho being .19+ is. Therefore, you cannot even liken kissing to full on sexual contact in this situation. Stop with your feminist liberal garbage, grow up, and welcome to the real world.