- Men’s basketball beats Marist for first MAAC win
- Men’s ice hockey outshoots Union 54-17, but falls 5-2
- Women’s basketball stifles Siena, forces 34 turnovers
- Men’s ice hockey beats RPI behind three power-play goals
- Men’s basketball drops MAAC opener to Monmouth
- Four kittens rescued from storm drain on-campus
- Remembering a beloved professor
- Police investigating robbery at Krauszer’s Market
- Quinnipiac rugby wins second straight national championship
- Public Safety investigates newspaper theft
Quinnipiac blows early lead to Sacred Heart
The women’s basketball team fell for the sixth game in a row, 51-34, to in-state rival Sacred Heart Thursday night at the William H. Pitt Center.
“We did what we wanted to do, which was keep them in the low 50s and give ourselves a chance to win,” Quinnipiac head coach Tricia Fabbri said. “It’s hard to change systems overnight and be successful right away. We get another shot against them on Saturday afternoon. If we can make some more shots, we will be okay.”
The Bobcats opened the game with baskets on their first two possessions. Senior forward and team captain Kathleen Neyens, who hadn’t played in the last six games, netted a 3-pointer 1:30 into the game to break an early tie. But the shot was the last lead of the game for the Bobcats.
The Pioneers bounced back by taking a 7-5 lead at the 17:29 mark and kept the lead through halftime, 24-14.
The Pioneers went on a 17-4 run after the first eight and a half minutes of the second half and built their lead as high as 23.
Sophomore Jacinda Dunbar was the only Bobcat to reach double figures in scoring with 10 points. Dunbar pulled down six boards while senior center Courtney Kaminski had seven in 31 minutes of play, a team-high for the game.
The 34 points was a season low for Quinnipiac while it was the fewest points allowed by an opponent for Sacred Heart since the 2004-05 season.
The Bobcats and Pioneers continued NEC’s “Rivalry Week” as they met again on Saturday at noon at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden. Click here for a full recap.