QU activating H1N1 isolation zone

By on October 28, 2009

Update: As of 2 p.m. Wednesday, John Morgan, associate vice president for public relations, said 140 students have been present with flu-like symptoms. All but three have been sent home.

The three students still on campus are being housed in the isolation area.

Update: As of 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, the doors to the isolation have been closed to the campus.

Since Friday, Oct. 30, 100 students have been tabbed with flu-like symptoms at Quinnipiac University. Of those 100, all but four have been sent home, according to Lynn Bushnell, vice president for public affairs.

According to a statement e-mailed to the University community at 8:15 p.m.
Monday, this area is being activated because Student Health Services is running out of room to care for the increasing number of ill students. Last night, Quinnipiac staff began assembling beds in Studios A and B on the second floor of the Recreation Center.

As of 9:45 a.m. Tuesday, no students were currently being kept in the isolation zone.

According to John Morgan, associate vice president for public relations, the University has not discussed shutting the school down. In an interview earlier this year, the University explained that plans were in place to hold classes online if need be.

Joe Rubertone, associate vice president for facilities administration and chair of the Crisis Management Team, told The Chronicle in a Sept. 16 article, that in the event of a “major H1N1 outbreak,” an isolation area would be established on the second floor of the Recreation Center.

Rubertone did not outline what would be considered a major H1N1 outbreak.

“Both studios will be off line this evening from 3:30 p.m. on,” a sign on the dance studios’ door said.

A sign on the women’s locker room door told users to clear out the locker room immediately. Access to the locker room would be prohibited as of Monday night, according to the sign.

Comments

About Andrew Vazzano and Andrew Flet