- Community protests after controversial Snapchat photo
- ‘Lo’ and Behold
- Field hockey sisters bring Spanish influence to the team
- Student facing disciplinary action for posting racist Snapchat photo
- University hires former New Haven Police Chief
- Watch your words
- Old fashion isn’t overrated
- Is change always for the better?
- Men’s soccer shuts out Yale
- Undefeated UMass Lowell beats men’s soccer
WRECK: Taylor Swift ruined by Kanye
The MTV Video Music Awards have been a stale event since the early ’00s; however, Sunday’s (Sept. 13) show more than made up for the last decade’s worth of mediocrity when Kanye West stole the microphone from Taylor Swift as she was accepting her award for Best Female Video. After maliciously yanking the mic, West congratulated Swift on her win, but then proceeded to exclaim that Beyonce’s video for “Single Ladies” as “one of the best videos of all time.” Now, Beyonce’s video is perhaps one of the most ubiquitous female videos (how many copycats did that inspire?); however, Swift deserves recognition as one of the few country artists to be accepted by MTV and its audience. It was no easy feat for Swift in the category. She defeated two-time winners of the category, the aforementioned Beyonce, and Kelly Clarkson, as well as Pink and Katy Perry. Note to West: You are an inarticulate S.O.B. who had no business ruining one of the greatest moments of that young woman’s life. Shame on you, sir.