Chartwells pulls peanut butter from QU Cafeteria
From cookies and fitness bars to dog biscuits, Americans have certainly felt the hit of the huge peanut butter recall in the last few weeks, and Quinnipiac students are no exception.
Nationwide, over 500 people have fallen ill and eight have died, all due to peanut butter that was contaminated with salmonella.
In response, Chartwells, Quinnipiac’s food provider, has stopped serving all products that contain peanut butter.
Chartwells released a statement following the FDA’s advisory to avoid peanut butter consumption last Tuesday.
“The health, safety, and trust of our customers are Chartwells’ highest priorities,” it said. “To that end, we are providing information about the FDA Advisory to avoid consumption of all peanut butter-containing products, due to potential contamination with salmonella bacteria.”
To ensure the safety of Quinnipiac University students, and all those who dine on campus, Chartwells will not be offering any peanut butter-containing products until they have been confimed “safe” by each supplier.
“As our suppliers provide us with their letter of guarantee/assurance, the products that have been cleared will become available in our accounts,” the statement said.
The affected peanut butter was traced back to the Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), located in Blakely, Ga. According to a press release from PCA, over 125 products have now been recalled, dating back to those produced in the beginning of 2007.
According to the FDA, the corporation knowingly shipped contaminated products over the last two years. Mold was found on the walls of the packaging plant, along with holes in the ceiling and roaches.
Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, Hamden’s representative in the House of Representatives, called upon the Justice Department to conduct a criminal investigation.
In Connecticut, tests on an unopened tub of peanut butter in West Haven contained the same strain of salmonella that affected the rest of the country.
As of last week, nine cases of salmonella were discovered in Connecticut, and all those affected have recovered.