- Men’s ice hockey crushes Colgate, 4-1
- Men’s basketball falls to Brown in non-conference finale
- Fall Sports Awards
- Health center implements new policy for spring 2017
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey drops third straight, 4-1 to Princeton
- Serving up tradition
- Anne Dichele appointed as Interim Dean of the School of Education
- Got the finals freak outs?
- Dog Finals benefits students by reducing stress levels
- The Chronicle’s top ten news stories in 2016
Rutty’s rejection seals victory
Quinnipiac men’s basketball opened their season in dramatic fashion with a 63-62 comeback victory over the University of Hartford Hawks last Saturday.
Freshman guard DeAndre’ Bynum and senior guard Bryan Geffen both hit key three-pointers down the stretch to help give the Bobcats the victory. Trailing with 1:54 left in the second half, Geffen drained a three-pointer to put the Bobcats (1-0) up 60-58, giving them their first lead of the game. The Hawks came back, scoring on a layup to tie the game at 60 with about a minute left.
Bynum came through in the clutch, hitting a three-pointer from the right corner to put the Bobcats up 63-60.
With time winding down, Hartford pulled within a point on two free throws. The Bobcats failed to score, giving the ball back to the Hawks with 6.9 seconds remaining in the game. Hawks guard Joe Zeglinski attempted a time-expiring field goal shot, but sophomore forward Justin Rutty blocked the shot, sealing a 63-62 Bobcat victory.
Rutty and junior guard James Feldeine also contributed by earning double-doubles. Rutty finished the game with 13 points and a game-high 11 rebounds, while Feldeine led the team with a game-high 18 points and 10 rebounds.