- Quinnipiac volleyball rolls past Saint Peter’s in three sets
- Quinnipiac women’s soccer finishes even with Marist on Senior Day
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey upsets No. 18 Boston College, 1-0
- No. 25 Old Dominion tops Quinnipiac field hockey, 3-0, on Senior Day
- Quinnipiac men’s soccer comes back to beat Rider, 2-1
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey wins home opener against UConn
- Parents Speak Up
- A college actor’s ‘dream’
- GSA seeks allies
- Taylor Swift finally took a political stance and the U.S. responded
Women’s hockey sets NCAA record in win at Northeastern
The Quinnipiac women’s hockey team beat Northeastern 5-2 on Saturday afternoon in Boston. Assistant captain Ashley Jaffray set an NCAA record by scoring two shorthanded goals 18 seconds apart. Freshman Breana Burton also scored her first career goal and it proved to be the game-winner.
Jaffray scored her two goals in the opening three minutes of the game to give the Bobcats an early 2-0 advantage. Northeastern’s Chelsey Jones scored at 14:45 and the Bobcats had a 2-1 lead after the first period.
Burton scored early in the second assisted by Jennifer MacLean and Elyse Cole at even strength to give the ‘Cats a 3-1 lead. Antoinette Maldonado added a goal at 12:01 on a power play to make it 4-1.
Haley McMeekin scored in the third period at 13:59 putting the game out of reach for Northeastern.
“The best thing about today was the scoring was spread out,” Quinnipiac head coach Michael Barrett said. “Many of the players scored their first goal of the season and got a monkey off of their back.”
Quinnipiac goaltender Lauren Brennan made 23 saves and earned her first win as a Bobcat. Janelle Wolitski made five saves in relief. The Bobcats improved to 1-3 with the win.
Quinnipiac opens up ECAC play against No. 9 Princeton on Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Northford Ice Pavilion.