- Quinnipiac women’s basketball eliminated by No. 1 UConn in NCAA Tournament
- Mutual respect
- Quinnipiac women’s basketball tops Miami to advance in NCAA Tournament
- Conor’s Column: Do the Bobcats have to live by the three?
- Chronicle Sports Staff makes 2018 March Madness picks
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey’s season ends at Cornell
- Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse cruises past Wagner, 11-3
- Feldman joins the century club
- Cait’s Column: No. 9 Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey trounced by No. 1 Cornell
- Dancing again
Women’s hockey sets NCAA record in win at Northeastern
The Quinnipiac women’s hockey team beat Northeastern 5-2 on Saturday afternoon in Boston. Assistant captain Ashley Jaffray set an NCAA record by scoring two shorthanded goals 18 seconds apart. Freshman Breana Burton also scored her first career goal and it proved to be the game-winner.
Jaffray scored her two goals in the opening three minutes of the game to give the Bobcats an early 2-0 advantage. Northeastern’s Chelsey Jones scored at 14:45 and the Bobcats had a 2-1 lead after the first period.
Burton scored early in the second assisted by Jennifer MacLean and Elyse Cole at even strength to give the ‘Cats a 3-1 lead. Antoinette Maldonado added a goal at 12:01 on a power play to make it 4-1.
Haley McMeekin scored in the third period at 13:59 putting the game out of reach for Northeastern.
“The best thing about today was the scoring was spread out,” Quinnipiac head coach Michael Barrett said. “Many of the players scored their first goal of the season and got a monkey off of their back.”
Quinnipiac goaltender Lauren Brennan made 23 saves and earned her first win as a Bobcat. Janelle Wolitski made five saves in relief. The Bobcats improved to 1-3 with the win.
Quinnipiac opens up ECAC play against No. 9 Princeton on Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Northford Ice Pavilion.