- Quinnipiac women’s soccer dominant in win over Fairfield
- Quinnipiac field hockey defeats Georgetown in Big East battle
- Quinnipiac men’s soccer tops Central Connecticut State for second straight win
- SGA releases 2018-19 election results
- Public Safety Officer Invents ‘Hooked on Baby’
- Get Cultured
- Health center to host group therapy sessions
- Students’ families displaced after Massachusetts fires on Thursday
- Poppin’ fall films
- Serena’s struggle with sexism
A new Sheriff in town
A complete game shutout versus Providence on March 31 earned Bobcats’ freshman pitcher and San Diego native Kristin Sheriff Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week honors, as well as Athlete of the Month.
“Being a freshman and coming in here I was really excited and honored,” Sheriff said.
Three days after the announcement, Sheriff repeated the task versus NEC rival Central Conn. on April 6. In her last two starts she has pitched 14 scoreless innings, struck out eight and only allowed seven hits. Sheriff did not even allow a batter past first base and only faced 24 total batters in the Providence game.
“Every single pitch I just tried to focus and hit my spots,” Sheriff said.
But, winning these two prestigious awards has not completely satisfied Sheriff’s hunger for winning. She feels added pressure from herself to go out and perform well every time she takes the mound.
“If I don’t perform well I get mad at myself,” Sheriff said. “I expect myself to do well every time I go out.”
She handled the pressure well on Sunday by closing out game one of a doubleheader versus Mt. Saint Mary’s. With the bases loaded, two outs and a 3-2 count, Sheriff got centerfielder Sarah Ramsburg to line out to left field, giving the bobcats a 1-0 victory and Sheriff her second save this season.
“When there are a couple of runners on I just have to focus, calm down, and not be so nervous,” Sheriff said.
The motivation of winning Rookie of the Week and Athlete of the Month has raised Sheriff’s goals for the season. Now, she is making a bid to win Rookie of the Year honors.