- A Hamden ‘hero’
- SURVIVOR: Spring Break
- Column: Women’s basketball team could benefit from Cinderella effect
- School of Business to start microlending program
- University provides gender-neutral bathrooms across three campuses
- Student Government Association plans policy changes
- Baker Dunleavy named new men’s basketball coach
- QTHON raises record amount at annual fundraiser
- Quinnipiac introduces Baker Dunleavy as men’s basketball coach
- South Carolina ends Quinnipiac’s tournament run in Sweet 16
The Space welcomes local music to Hamden
Students looking for new music can look no further than a short drive away in Hamden. The Space has been welcoming Quinnipiac students and other local musicians to perform at their listening room, and will feature a showcase of QU student bands on April 15.
An all-ages venue, The Space also houses a thrift store, rehearsal rooms and a recording studio. Since its opening last June, the venue has hosted live music and art every weekend and is starting to make national touring artists take notice and come to Hamden to perform.
In addition to having a location in Hamden, staff members also host a weekly hour-long radio program on WQAQ every Thursday. Quinnipiac has also had a strong representation at The Space’s open mic nights on Tuesdays.
The performance venue has many regular weekly features along with Tuesday’s open mic nights. Budding guitarists can hone their skills at “Beginning Fingerpicking,” a class that began April 3 and will run from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m weekly.
For the younger set, Friday is a day to unwind at The Space after school, with local youth rock bands performing for only $3.
The Quinnipiac University Music Showcase on April 15 has Camera Shy Paparazzi, Poorbox, Kristine Maksymiuk, No Yes No and Zoocore taking the stage for a night of rock and acoustic music. Tickets are $7 for this performance that begins at 7:30 p.m.
For more information on The Space, or to get tickets for a show, those interested can contact the venue directly at (203) 288-6400 or visit their Web site at www.thespace.tk.
The Space is located at 295 Treadwell St., Building H in Hamden.