- Quinnipiac partners with People’s United Bank
- Quinnipiac baseball secures 2-1 series win against Niagara
- Former Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey player Connor Clifton signs with the Boston Bruins
- Quinnipiac Avenue explosion
- Push for perfection
- Moving forward, looking back. Farewell Lahey
- Freshman reflect, Seniors say goodbye
- Wawa Craze
- The beginning of the end
- One Album, Three Meanings
Terror threat level lowered, U.S. attacks still possible
The terror threat level in the United States was lowered last week from orange to yellow, but government officials still say there is a significant risk for more terrorist attacks.
The decision to lower the nation’s terror alert level was made after the one year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks passed without incident and major al Qaeda operatives have been captured. The recent arrest of six men in Buffalo, who are believed to have provided materials to al Qaeda, also contributed to the reduced level.
“These actions have disrupted terrorist operations by neutralizing certain senior al Qaeda leadership and removing other terrorist planners and operatives,” said Attorney General John Ashcroft and Homeland Security Adviser Tom Ridge in a joint statement.
Government officials say the reduced level should not make people think the nation is completely safe from future attacks, because this is not the case.
“Detained al Qaeda operatives have informed U.S. intelligence and law enforcement officials that al Qaeda will wait until it believes Americans are less vigilant and less prepared before it will strike again,” said Ashcroft and Ridge.