- New Haven issues a Public Health Alert after over 90 people overdose
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball finalizes 2018-19 schedule
- Quinnipiac men’s basketball unveils non-conference slate
- Quinnipiac women’s basketball announces non-conference schedule
- New QCards show more face and less branding for easier identification
- President Judy Olian to ‘shape Quinnipiac’s bright future’ with students
- Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey releases 2018-19 schedule
- Sleeping Giant State Park closed indefinitely after tornado damage
- Quinnipiac partners with People’s United Bank
- Quinnipiac baseball secures 2-1 series win against Niagara
Bombing during Ramadan
Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, begins on or around Nov. 17. During Ramadan, it is common for Muslims to go to the Masjid (Mosque) and spend several hours praying and studying the Quran Ramadan is the ninth month of the Muslim calendar. The Month of Ramadan is also believed that the Holy Quran “was sent down from heaven, a guidance unto men, a declaration of direction, and a means of Salvation”
The Northern Alliance foreign minister has spoken publicly about the bombing in Afghanistan. “It would be preferable if we see the end of this campaign with objectives achieved before the end of Ramadan,” Abdullah said.
It does not seem that The United States has any plans on stopping the bombing of Taliban forces inside Afghanistan during Ramadan and the winter months. “We are sensitive about Ramadan beginning in mid-November, but we cannot make that the sole determining factor behind what we do militarily,” said U.S. Secretary of Sate Colin Powell. The United States has continually said they hope within a few weeks the bombing will have been effective enough to stop air strikes.
The fighting continues on the ground between The Taliban and The Northern Alliance. The Taliban controls two strategic northern cities, Taloqan and Mazar-e Sharif. The fighting is occuring in the outskirts of Mazar-e Sharif and in the mountains. It could be days before there is even an attempted takeover of the city.